Monday, February 16, 2009

I Got Goosed!


If you happen to be following the blog, you would have noticed my subtle reference to it being my birthday. Well, my in laws wanted to show their appreciation of my birth by having a nice dinner last night for me and family.

After finishing my dinner and dessert, I was asked if I wanted to sample a gift from a fellow beer aficionado who was unable to attend, Kim. Kim has an acquired taste for barley wine. At a modest 13% alcohol content, barley wine is rarely served with anything and is meant to be enjoyed by itself--save for maybe raw oysters or something. Regardless, the timing was perfect.

Black as night, smokey and having a reminiscence of oak cured scotch Bourbon County Brand Stout is a 13% barley wine with huge character attached. It is a somewhat dry stout with charred oak, vanilla and caramel flavors that complement its moderate hop aromatics. Pour into a broad mouth glass and enjoy. I approve this barley wine.

Bourbon County Brand Stout is priced at $6.00 for 12 oz. bottle made by Goose Island Brewing Co. Chicago Ill. brewmaster Greg Hall.

4 comments:

  1. It definitely had a bold flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am confused? Did you have the Bourbon County Stout, the bourbon barrel age imperial stout. Or did you have a barley wine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be sure to print this out for Kim! He'll be happy that you enjoyed his beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Slovak Brewer; Getting my record straight--I had Bourbon County Barley Stout. My comment about barley wine is due to the fact that many categorize any malted drink above 12% to be considered a Barley Wine. That's confusing I know. But the stout was good, and strong.

    ReplyDelete